If scooters and skateboards were the latest trends in the 90s, today the ones that are in fashion are longboards. These products are an evolution of those skates of that time, with a much larger size that will allow you to go downhill or walk around town with class and style. Although to achieve this, it is necessary to have quality options, which include optimal materials and bearings, in order to guarantee that good sliding. Among the best models are the AtomLongboards, a new design that includes wheels with LEDs and a TwinTip Shape top board, with 8 sheets of wood and fiberglass. More traditional is the Osprey Double Ended, made of high-quality maple wood and that has a system of wheels and bearings that improve the stability and controllability of the board at high speeds.
Quick Shopping Tips:
The latest innovation in urban mobility is Best longboards. A growing evolution of the lifelong scooter or skateboard, with which you can move, run and give a new point of fun to your leisure time or even to your daily life. Obviously, for this, it is important to know how to choose, so we show you our guide to buying the best longboard on the market so that you really know what makes the difference between the different brands and models.
Longboard design and measurements
In any longboard comparison, we can find different models depending on the format, design, and type of use that we can make with it. Fortunately, the variety is so wide that it will surely be easy for you to find a suitable product for your preferences. So that nothing stops you and your purchase is perfect, the advice in our guide to buying the best longboard will surely be as practical as it is interesting.
The traditional longboard has board measurements of about 100 to 110 centimeters long, with approximately 25 to 30 centimeters wide. We can also find the Best mini longboards with measures around 80 or 90 centimeters long, something tighter, but just as fun. By the way, there is not much difference in how much a conventional model costs compared to a mini one, so this will not be a problem for you.
As for the format of the table, it has a lot to do with the utility or format of the product. We can find models with a wide design, like a conventional skateboard, with which you will roll easily, even if we are newbies. If we need something more advanced, there are sharper, oval board designs that require more skill but help to roll with greater precision.
Table Construction and decoration
Longboard decks are typically constructed of pressed wood panels and joined by glue, epoxy glue, and other materials. In this section, we must consider both the material used and the properties it offers us, both on the side of flexibility and resistance when driving.
The flexibility of the board is important, as some people may like to have more flexibility to draw and rush the curves, while others are interested in having a more rigid design with which to make the curves straighter, but at the same time take advantage and obtain greater happiness. Be sure to check the degree of flexibility of the board.
As for the decoration, it is obvious that the visual aspect is key to being able to show off when driving and in this section, we have designs of all kinds. But perhaps, the most important thing is that in this decoration we also have elements that allow it to adequately resist use and above all avoid falls and slipping when stepping on the board.
Wheel axle and bearings
Although we talk about them at the end, we are facing probably the most important elements of which we have commented. A high-quality board is of little use if it is supported on poor-quality axles and wheels that can hardly turn smoothly or quietly.
So we really have to look at the quality of these products, whether they are cheap or expensive. The wheels must always be solid, having a suitable diameter when rolling. This diameter also depends on the measurements of the shafts, which should normally be at least 25 centimeters for adequate mobility.
We cannot forget the wheel bearings, which are the elements that help move the wheel when turning. These bearings have to be of quality and be present in a good quantity, at least 7 or 9 pieces, in order to guarantee the proper functioning of the wheel. A bouncy longboard is a Chinese martyrdom and will land you on the ground more than once.
Navigating the city showing off your style and moving with agility is easy if you have a longboard under your feet. Compared to the usual skateboard models, these products allow you to roll in a pleasant way and improve your mobility and of course your fun. So if you want to know which is the best longboard of the moment we give you some clues so you can see what is literally moving in the market
- Our Recommendations for Best Longboards
- Atom Longboards
- Osprey Double Ended
- MBS All-Terrain
- Atom Drop Deck
- Retrospec Quip
- Summary for Best Longboards
- How to use a Longboard
- Check that everything is in good condition
- Put on your protective gear
- Now test your longboard before moving on
- Be careful while using your longboard
Our Recommendations for Best Longboards
|Best Overall Longboard|
|Best Value Longboard|
|Best Longboard for Downhill|
|Best Longboard for Tricks||Check Price|
|Best Longboard for Speed||Check Price|
Atom LongboardsBest Pick
The Atom Longboards offer a great driving sensation, thanks to its upper board that is wide and very stable. This is because the boards used in this longboard are designed by experienced longboarders, thus obtaining great feedback from users, which translates into versatile designs focused on comfort and usability and it is a Best Overall Longboard.
The upper board is made of 8 sheets of wood and fiberglass, with a modern design such as TwinTip Shape, Drop through and Mini Double Kicks. On the other hand, the reversed type axles are 7 inches, with 90A bushings type steering.
The wheels, on the other hand, have a diameter of 70 mm and a width of 51 mm, with a hardness of 78A, they also have a modern design, in blue and with an LED strip, which can be configured to show different designs of light.
- Bearings: The wheel bearings are ABEC 9 RS ball bearings that offer great stability and a smooth and light roll.
- LED: The wheels have a design with a monitor-programmable LED strip to create different sets of lights.
- Axles: The board features 7 inches 245mm wide axles, with a reversed type design and DT mounted, with stable 90A bushings steering.
- Use: The board is designed to be used in crushing and urban riding modes, so it is not the most suitable for doing pirouettes or cocktails.
Osprey Double EndedStaff Pick
The Osprey Double Ended is a traditional cut model and Best Value Longboard, designed to give you great comfort when practicing all kinds of sports disciplines. A design raised on a table whose measurements are 99 centimeters long by 23 wide, having shortened ends and a total weight of 3.3 kilos.
This board is made of high-quality maple wood, using 8 layers in the construction of each piece. Thanks to the brand’s technology, navigation with the longboard is more comfortable and stable, which is appreciated by users who are starting in this discipline.
Regarding the wheels, these are 9 inches in diameter and are mounted on high-quality bearings, facilitating sliding. The entire product is finished off with a fun Jamaican touch that gives the longboard a different and eye-catching look.
If you are not sure which longboard to buy, we highlight below the most important characteristics of this model, so that you are clear about everything you can expect from it.
- Beginners: This product generates pleasant stability, which makes it very suitable for newcomers to this world.
- Construction: The main board of the longboard is made with 8 layers of maple wood properly treated, to give you better control of the movement.
- Versatile: The longboard is suitable for cruising, carving, freeride, or freestyle, among other sports.
- Wheels: The nine-inch wheels and their internal bearings move reliably on all types of terrain, sliding safely and generating a high level of control.
- Measurements: The length of the table is somewhat shorter than that of other similar models, staying at 39 inches or 99 centimeters long.
MBS All-TerrainBudget Pick
If you are looking for a Best Longboard for Downhill and the model with which to start in the world of longboards, the MBS All-Terrain is a good option to start with. Specifically, we are talking about a product with conventional measurements with a downhill / freeride longboard format 104 centimeters long with a wheel width of 27 centimeters.
The board has 9 maple layers properly mounted and secured to give you a flexible base, while the free height of the product is ideal to start moving, even when you are not used to handling these measures or this type of scooter.
Agility is guaranteed by its medium flexibility character, while the grip tape in the upper area prevents slipping during the route.
The characteristics of the MAXOfit Longboard make it the best longboard for 60 euros. Take a look at its advantages to see if it suits your needs.
- Stable: This longboard model has a very attractive design that provides dynamism, speed, and stability. Quality is also guaranteed and driving it will be very easy and straightforward.
- Bearings: It has high-quality bearings.
- Safe: It has a grip that provides maximum resistance when sliding. In addition, it has 9 layers of maple that provide security against unexpected accidents.
- Spare: It also has a spare part for when its use is necessary.
- Weight: Some people who have already bought and used this longboard indicate that it is very heavy and that this can make it a bit difficult to use. But they could be isolated opinions, as there are no more negative comments on this product.
Atom Drop Deck
This Atom Drop Deck model is the Best Longboard for Tricks and another proposal that deserves our attention. A product that measures 104 x 24 centimeters, adding a little more extension to the table. This is made of high-quality maple wood, whose flexibility and resistance make it ideal for this type of use. We have proof of its resistance, which makes the board capable of supporting up to 150 kilos of weight on its surface.
As for the rolling set, it uses the usual seven-inch wheels, suitable for moving on all types of terrain. It also has ABEC-11 bearings, which give a greater rolling capacity to the set. Ideal to make the most of slippage.
As for extras, the axles incorporate a damping ring, which gives you more comfort when moving through complex terrain. Therefore, the longboard is highly recommended to practice disciplines such as Downhill, Freeride, or Curving, among others.
Enjoying your leisure time is easier with a quality longboard like this one, whose main features are listed below.
- Size: The size of 42 x 9.5 inches, around 104 x 24 centimeters, gives you ample space to roll, one of the largest in its category.
- Construction: Its 8-layer construction system offers high strength and good board flexibility, which improves board control.
- Bearings: ABEC-11 bearings are the ideal complement for the wheels to move efficiently in all types of conditions.
- Wheel adjustment: It is important to adjust the tightening tension of the wheels as you use the board to slide, looser, or do tricks, tighter.
- Press: is recommended to check the tightening of the different elements that require, axles and wheels, to avoid gaps.
If you prefer to have a mini and Best Longboard for Speed, the market also has options for it such as the Retrospec Quip model. This specific product adjusts the dimensions to 85 centimeters in length and 21.5 in width, which makes the product more manageable and comfortable than the large models.
This product has a table made of bamboo, which not only guarantees the quality of the piece but also high flexibility in movement.
The design is remarkable, having all the Hawaiian images in its design, is accompanied by a quality frame and axles with good sliding bearings for all your dishes. A different option with which to move and show off your style.
The JUCKER HAWAII Makaha Mini is considered by some users as the best longboard of the moment. Take a look at the following points:
- Design: It is specially designed for people and children in the city. It is better to use it in this space.
- Measurements: It has 33 inches (83 centimeters long), however, it is just like a longboard with regular measurements.
- Axles: It has a very short distance between its axes of 20 inches (50 centimeters) that allows more precise and tight turns. Also, its kicktail will allow the user to perform many tricks and will give great stability to this longboard model.
- Wheels: The wheels of this longboard are 78A cruiser, which provides and allow a smooth ride even on the roughest asphalt since it has low curbs that allow it to stabilize.
- Color: Perhaps, due to the color of its design, it can get dirty easily. However, this for many is not a problem.
Summary for Best Longboards
|Best Overall Longboard|
|Best Value Longboard|
|Best Longboard for Downhill|
|Best Longboard for Tricks||Check Price|
|Best Longboard for Speed||Check Price|
How to use a Longboard
For those people who love urban mobility, having a longboard would be ideal, since they can move and walk through the streets of their city quietly. Today, this ingenious longboard is a trend thanks to the level of fun that it could offer you with each use. In this way, it is important that you consider certain points that we will describe below so that you can make the correct use of the longboard so that you can avoid any type of incidents when putting it into operation.
Check that everything is in good condition
Once you have unpacked the longboard you must verify that it is in good condition, for this you will have to review each of the pieces that make it up, starting with the table. This should not present any type of details, since during the entire tour you will go over it. Likewise, check that the wheels are properly adjusted and in perfect condition will be necessary to avoid any type of incident. Well, practically these two components will make your longboard work correctly.
Put on your protective gear
Every time you decide to use your longboard, you must be properly protected, since as you move on your skateboard, any type of accident could occur and if you do not have the proper protection, you will suffer serious injuries. In this way, we recommend that you wear a helmet that fits you well and above all that is your size, as well as knee and elbow pads that are ideal to avoid serious injury to your extremities.
Now test your longboard before moving on
In order to verify that your longboard is ready to ride, you would simply have to put it to the test. To do this, proceed to balance yourself taking into account that it must move fluidly through the concrete as it progresses, making you feel comfortable and safe. If you notice that everything works correctly, then there will be nothing to worry about, on the contrary, start enjoying your new longboard.
If you are a new practitioner of this sport, take into account the following tips
First, you must achieve the proper balance on your longboard. To do this, you will have to look for a shallow slope, through which you can slide smoothly over and over again until you can get used to the feeling of being on the longboard. Also, use your arms and bend your knees slightly until you get the right balance.
Now, you should learn the basic position and later practice moving forward. To achieve this, you simply have to place your back foot off the board and use the ground to propel yourself. Depending on your level of learning, you can give a strong kick or several small kicks, as long as you always maintain control and balance.
Then follow the practice of turning, essential for those times when you need to turn or just turn the corner. All you have to do is put pressure on one side of the board and lean in the direction of where you want to turn. These steps are usually heard very simply, but at the time of practice, you must show interest to become a good practitioner of this extreme sport.
Be careful while using your longboard
Once you have verified that everything is in good condition, you will be able to walk comfortably and quickly through the streets of your city. However, you should take into account that, although it is a lot of fun to ride fast, this could cause serious injuries if you fall, therefore, while using your longboard, be cautious.